We are trying out a new meeting time, so make sure and add this date to your calendar! We will convene next on:
Date: Tuesday, 17 February
Time: 8pm Mountain (7 SLT)
Where: CAL's Sustainable Living Library in Second Life
Or, IM Plautia Corvale or Ariell Enoch for a TP!
1. Review of Grand Opening Bash
2. Report on ALA Virtual Worlds meeting
3. Finalization of Volunteer Committees: Collections and Programs
4. Field Trip! We will tour 2-3 other green islands to gain an understanding of what else is 'out there'.
What is a carbon footprint? It is the measure of the amount of carbon dioxide (a major contributor to greenhouse gas and global warming) that goes into the atmosphere as you go about your daily living. Below is a list of simple things you can do immediately to minimise your footprint:
- turn off all lights when not in use
- turn down your central heating by one or two degrees
- unplug your mobile phone as soon as it is finished charging
- do your shopping in a single trip
- fill your dishwasher and washing machine with a full load
- if you need to replace your car, consider an energy efficient model, ie hybrid or diesel
- try to recycle paper, cans, plastic bottles, clothes, shoes, etc.
- ride-share to work
- try to buy items made closer to home
- try to buy fresh fruit and vegetables in season otherwise they may have been flown in
- look for "Energy Star" certified products when purchasing appliances (dishwashers, refrigerators, washing machines or dryers)
Libraries are a place for people to learn, and can be a touchstone for their communities on larger issues facing our world. One such issue is the delicate balance of the Planet Earth.
Like Mancos Public Library, there are a number of libraries across the country 'going green'.
Author Monika Antonelli gives a history of green libraries in the article, The Green Library Movement: An Overview and Beyond.
What would YOU like to learn about being green?
First published on the Mancos Public Library Building Project blog.