Wonderful news from California:
California officials unveil plans to turn San Francisco into electric car capital
• Arnold Schwarzenegger proposes move from traditional fuels
• At least $1 billion to be spent on improving green infrastructure
Read the full article here.
Wonderful news from California:
When CAL unanimously approved the formation of SLIG (Second Life Interest Group), who knew that our library would be built, open, and ready for business in just a few short days!
The Sustainable Living Library (SLL) is a replica of a green building, and will eventually house an exhibit describing the green features of the building. Other exhibits will focus on CAL Colorado Libraries, as well as other green topics. As in real life, the SLL will hold programs; at the beginning, we will focus on general Second Life information for Colorado librarians new to this virtual world; eventually we will integrate green programs for any Second Life resident interested in sustainability.
Our builder, Krull Aeon, has built several other projects for libraries and librarians thoughout Second Life. And not only does Krull build, but he also writes programs specifically for Second Life; these applications can be used in a variety of ways to enhance the way people experience Second Life. A popular application that he has built recently is the Virtual Book; an avatar walks into a "book", and is then surround by images, voice recordings, and even moving characters! We feel very lucky to have had this wonderful innovator for our builder.
We are proud to announce the formation of a new Colorado Association of Libraries (CAL) Interest Group, the Second Life Interest Group (SLIG).
SLIG was formed by unanimous vote at the November CAL Board meeting. The purpose of the group is to:
- Explore new ways of doing digital outreach, networking and public relations in order to promote Colorado and its libraries (including but not limited to academic, public, special, and school) on the virtual world of Second Life
- Build a Colorado Association of Libraries presence on Second Life through a new virtual library that will represent the combined efforts of the aforementioned Colorado libraries and their library staff.
- This new library, "the Sustainable Living Library" on the sim Emerald City, will represent best practices for living an ecologically conscious life. Through virtual workshops, conferences, and links to "green websites", the community of Second Life as well as real life patrons will learn more about their environment and how to save it.
- The "Sustainable Living Library" will make available to the community of Second Life the online public access catalogs of Colorado libraries associated with this new library and any programs or activities that promote Colorado, its libraries, or CAL.
The Mission Statement of the Sustainable Living Library:
The Sustainable Living Library of Second Life is committed to creating better and healthier lives for ourselves and our children through sustainable living practices. By developing workshops, exhibits and other resources, we strive to educate our visitors about green practices and other ways to sustain healthy lives and a healthy planet.
SLIG will be meeting soon in the virtual world of Second Life. Interest group members and all others are encouraged to attend this virtual meeting. In the meantime, if you'd like help opening a Second Life account and/or have any other related questions, please contact:
Victoria A. Petersen: email@example.com
Eileen Dumas: firstname.lastname@example.org
Already In-World? Visit Emerald City and see its current development! http://slurl.com/secondlife/Emerald%20City/123/62/26
Sustainable Living Library blog
"Libraries go Green @ Emerald City", article in the national print and online magazine, RezLibris
"Mancos PL Builds Green", ALA Tech Source Blog Interview
We are looking forward to seeing many of you in-world, and to work together in the creation of CAL's Sustainable Living Library!
The Sustainable Living Library is located on the Emerald City sim in Second Life. The E.C. sim had a wonderful write up in the new RezLibris Magazine (for Librarians in Second Life).
The article explains that the Emerald City sim will not only be a proponent of green and sustainable living, but would like to become a "trusted, unbiased resource for libraries, as well as for other organizations and individuals".
A fabulous article! Please take a few moments to read it. It is the second article down on the page.